Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Finally some free time!

Hey everyone reading my blog! I'm sorry it took this long to update y'all since I've arrived in Copenhagen!
Basically, my last four days have been like this:

Day 1 (Saturday/Sunday I'm pretty confused about this)- Long story short, I woke up at 3 (a.m.!!!) and traveled for about 20 hours then arrived in Copenhagen at about 8 a.m. (their time) Sunday morning. We were then loaded up on a bus and taken to DIS headquarters, in the old part of Copenhagen. We had to register then they took us on a tour so we would know how to get around (everyone was so jet-lagged I don't know if it actually helped!) and we finally got to our respective dorms sometime around 12. There was dinner (pizza, which, for whatever reason was the last thing I expected. It was really tasty too. Just like an American pizza. Actually, like a slightly more flavorful Dino's pizza, you know what I mean hometown friends?) and yet another tour that night that I don't remember. It was really nice to get some sleep!

Day 2 (Monday)- The sun rises so early here! It woke me up around 4ish. It's nice though, because at night the sun doesn't go down until 10:30 or so. So you can really get a lot done during the day. Anyways, that day, there was a grand opening at the beautiful Universitet (Vor Frue Plads)! I stole the picture on the left of the entryway off the internet (I'm a really bad tourist). Anyways, isn't it something? Everything was very neoclassical and frescoed! After a lecture on the history of Copenhagen, we were divided into groups and went on this "Amazing Race" thing.  There was no prize and my group was hungry so we went to an Irish pub instead. I had some fantastic fish and chips (and it was a ton of food. I still have plenty of leftovers). We then wondered into a grocery store and I got way too excited about finding Cheerios. Finally, at about 4:30 I went to class (Human Health and Disease). It was really intensive. We were quickly taught how to take a rough medical history, then were given a patient to interview. It was really overwhelming but also really exciting! After that, I came back and I went to dinner with someone on my floor. We got lost a few times but eventually made it to this really tasty Italian place! The waiters were so nice (and Italian!), they were joking with us and they gave me free bread (free food is the key to my heart). On that note, everyone seems to be really nice and relaxed here. Total strangers will make clever quips about things you say or do. For instance, we were passing by this guy getting into his car and I said something about thinking I heard lightning and he said something like "Oh it's not good to be hearing things." Somehow everyone's always in such a good mood- it's really refreshing!

Day 3 (Tuesday, ah today)- After waking up at 4 again this morning I decided I deserved to sleep in if I could fall asleep again. I was successful, but as a result had to scramble to spend my few hours before class doing the assigned readings! One of our textbooks (we have three) is a legit medical textbook. I'm realizing I know less about medicine that I thought I did. But I suppose that's what this class (and medical school) is for! After class, I had a nice stroll back to my dorm. I wondered into a convenience store and found some Dr. Pepper (which is totally a Texas thing, so it was a delightful surprise). Oh and on that note, the couple times I've bought things at stores the cashiers have (I assume) greeted me in Danish. So I take that as meaning that I totally look like a Dane. It's cool until I break it by saying "hello!" because I can't understand them. I'm thinking I should learn some basic Danish so I can at least pretend to be a Dane for a few minutes.

Well this is a really long (and probably pretty rambley) blog post! But I hope you enjoyed it anyways! Have a good rest of your day! Oh and feel free to ask me if you have any questions about Denmark. If I don't know the answer I can just go out and learn it for you!

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment