Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Adventures in public transportation and delivery!

Oh my goodness! Today was such a long long day. I woke up, got ready and immediately went to a grocery store and small coffee shop. I got back to the dorm to put my groceries away and decided it would be a good idea to double check the syllabus (it was at that time around 1:40ish). It told me that we were supposed to be at some hospital I didn't recognize at 2:30, which I was fine with until I Google Mapped it and realized this hospital was outside Copenhagen. I panicked, and frantically scanned the page for directions when I noticed we were supposed to meet somewhere at 1:30. I figured they had already left, so I called the intern who leads our class and she gave me some rough directions as to how to get there. I then decided to use Google maps on my phone. Did you know it gives you public transportation directions? Like, to the detail of when the particular bus or metro you need to catch is supposed to arrive. It's incredible. Anyways, so I get to around where my first bus stop is supposed to be and I notice that there are three different bus pick up places (I don't know what they're called) on the same block. And, to add on top of this, everything was in Danish, so I was really confused. I asked one of the first people who walked by how to get to my particular destination. And this is where it got a little sketchy. She was quite obviously Danish (by her accent and blonde hair), but she claimed she was looking for the exact station I was (which is the hub of the metro here in Copenhagen- it's in the middle of town and really large). She then invited me to go with her through some garden area that was near us because she said she thought that was the way to get there. I declined and said I'd just take a bus and, as her face fell, she told me what bus to get on (and she didn't get on it with me). So, she was quite possibly lying to me about the whole thing (to her credit, you could totally get to this station through the gardens, but I don't know why you wouldn't just walk by it on the street. Especially since she said that she had just gotten lost in the maze. Why would you want to go back to some place where you got lost?). I don't like thinking the worst in people, but the whole situation was just really weird, and I am not about to get a kidney or something stolen. But I still got pointed in the right direction! So, I hopped on the bus that had just arrived and happily went to the metro station. Once underground, I asked someone if I was in the right place to get to where I was going and if I had the correct transportation pass, and she kindly told me I was right. I then raced further underground, confused about the lack of ticket takers. Haha, there were these tall, black rectangle things with a mysterious blue orb near the top that I thought you had to hold your ticket up to. The writing under the orb thing was in Danish of course, and all I got out of it was that it was some kind of check in thing. So I held my transportation pass up to it and got a lot of really strange looks. So I stopped and just got on the metro (later I was told that they just work on the honor system. Isn't that fantastic?). Speaking of the metro, it was the cleanest, quietest, and smoothest metro I have ever been on! I got to Frederiksberg in no time, then almost caught the wrong bus. Luckily, the really nice bus driver patiently told me where to go and told me to watch out for bikes (so considerate!). When I got on the right bus, the bus driver noticed my frenzied state and asked me if "I was distressed," or needed help. I happily told him where I was going and he told me to sit right behind him and he'd help me out. We got to the stop and he pointed me in the right direction. It was so nice! Then, someone who worked at the hospital drew me a map to the building I was supposed to go to and I made it to class right on time! It was really great and I'm extremely proud of myself for it all.

In class we had lecture on the reproductive system. Midwives do all the normal deliveries here, isn't that interesting? And only a small percentage of women get epidurals. Anyways, after lecture we did some hands on exercises. I'm happy to inform you that now I could probably deliver your baby for you if there were no person with any sort of medical background around. So remember, if you have a baby, call me maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment