Friday, July 6, 2012

Last day in Copenhagen

I still can't believe this is my last day in Copenhagen! And it's almost over!!!
Alright, I'm just going to say everything that comes to mind, in whatever order it comes for this post. Just so you know what I'm doing here. Let's go!
I haven't updated till today because it's been a little boring this week. Mostly I've been studying for the final I had today (I studied WAY too much for it. I think I have organic chemistry PTSD). I know I have some interesting stories though! Yesterday I was having a conversation with a cashier at my favorite book store here (to be fair it's the only book store I've been in), and he asked me where I was from. I replied Texas (it's interesting how I thought Texas before the United States), and the guy's face kind of fell and he said, "oh I thought you were a Canadian." Then I asked him "What, do I look like a Canadian to you?" And he told me no, I just sounded like one. Interesting, eh?
What else have I learned... The Danes like to put this strawberry marshmallow stuff on top of their ice cream. I saw some today and I kind of regret not buying it so I could bring it back and show everyone. But I'm afraid I don't have room for it! Man, my suitcase is obese. I'm really afraid it's going to be over the weight limit for my flight tomorrow. I bought so many things. Speaking of buying things, that's most of what I did today. After my exam ended (around 12ish) I decided I ought to go check out the Glyptotek art museum, which is famous for housing a fantastic collection of statues. Look below for one of my favorites!

Do you know who that is? Ophelia! From Hamlet. I thought it was appropriate, given you know, she's Danish.
And I ate there too, in what I suppose is the atrium area. I got a salad... with strips of delicious bacon and mushrooms in it! Seriously, best salad of my life. It completely ruined the point of salads, but whatever. It was tasty. Want a picture or two?





















The left was my view from my table. It was like an indoor jungle, which was really nice because it was foggy and rainy outside. Oh man and it was free admission since I'm a DIS student! If I had known any earlier I would have been there every day. Oh it was so nice.
They had a big French art exhibit too! Let's play a game. Guess who did this painting:

Alright, have a guess? It's an impressionist painting (maybe post-impressionism?). What I'm trying to say is I'm pretty sure it was done right before abstract art became a thing. Because that's a Picasso.
Ahh! Did I just blow your mind? I knew his impressionist paintings existed, but I didn't know where they were. I totally freaked out when I saw it. I hope you did too a little bit just now.

But after the Glyptotek I decided to go antiquing. Some of them (the over-priced ones) were really nice, and made me not want to touch anything. There was actually one that specialized in vintage fashion that was really well staged around like three or so different magazine articles about the store. I wonder how often she actually sells anything? Anyways, some other ones that I bet had really great deals looked like a hoarder house, if you know what I mean. I felt like a picker when I went in them, that is, until I got intimidated and almost immediately left. Anyways, I must have looked in a dozen antique stores, and I ended up with a small etching print from a legit artist. So I'm hoping I stumbled upon a valuable item! I got it because I thought it was pretty. Look at it below.
It's not actually that yellow- the lighting made it look like that. But it's a really well done etching print. And I'm pretty sure it's from the 1800s, from the little research I've done on it. I'm really excited about hanging it up in my house (it even came with a nice frame. And it was a steal!)!

I'm going to really miss Copenhagen. I love this city. The quaint architecture, the somewhat reserved, but extraordinarily kind and fun-loving people, and the excellent food. Just, everything. If you've never been (or even if you have), you should really visit sometime if you get the opportunity.
Goodness, I'm really going to miss this city. I almost got emotional- when I was walking around today on Strøget (Copenhagen's main pedestrian street- pronounced "stroll") there was music which kind of sounded like country but in Danish and all these couples were just dancing. In the rain! They were having so much fun. It was just so pleasant.
And Copenhagen, don't worry if you miss me too- I'll be back someday!
Now off to London!

No comments:

Post a Comment